Our club currently meets on the second Thursday of each month. A few things for you to know about the Waukesha Kennel Club, which has been in existence since 1962.
The WKC is a not-for-profit 501c (4) tax exempt organization, incorporated in the State of Wisconsin, dedicated to the sport of dogs with a membership of about 70 members. (Please see a section of our Constitution below). There are no paid employees; all activities are done on a volunteer basis with the average number of years of experience being over 30. Our activities include or have supported (in no order of importance!)
- Weekly training classes for conformation dog shows, obedience, rally and CGC and Trick dog
- AKC S.T.A.R. puppy classes, teaching manners to 8 wk-12mo.,
- Our large all-breed dog show and obedience/rally trials at the end of July attract exhibitors and fanciers from all over the Continent.
- B-OB Match provides an informal learning environment for novice dogs and novice handlers,
- Donations to 4-H and scouts and other youth dog programs,
- Grant two annual scholarships for Waukesha County 7th Grade Students
- Support County dog parks, the County Sheriff’s K-9 Unit, the University of Wisconsin School of Veterinary Medicine,
- Dog safety classes to school children,
- Presentations on the Iditarod Race,
- Donate to and held a fund-raiser for Take the Lead. Take The Lead was established to provide direct services, support and care for those in the purebred dog community who are facing the devastating challenges of life-threatening or terminal illness,
- Publish a breed services directory, both printed and online, and distributed to veterinarians and groomers
- Low cost health clinic for rabies, heartworm testing, eye and cardiac clinics which are open to the public,
- The members of the WKC are active in doing therapy work, reading programs with children, working with Humane Societies,
- Advocate for just and reasonable legislation regarding dog ownership,
- As Member of the American Kennel Club, the WKC supports the Canine Health Foundation, Reunite Animal Recovery the AKC Humane Fund and other outreach programs for public education concerning dog car, dog welfare and responsible ownership.
- Host seminars on responsible dog care, training and breeding.
- Discounts on club events for working members who have worked 8 hours or more the prior year will get discounts on wkc events.
The Club holds at least two social events for Club Members with guests invited. May is our Awards Dinner and is usually held at a restaurant. December is our Holiday party. The meal is paid for by those attending or is potluck.